If you are naïve about how to prepare for sugaring, remember it’s an ancient hair removal method. Sugaring has emerged as a sweet, natural alternative to traditional waxing for hair removal. It has become quite the talk of the town since many around us don’t prefer waxing.
With this process, you have to use a sticky sugar paste. It pulls unwanted hair from the roots of your skin. The concept of sugaring works by removing hair in the direction of growth. Why do people like it? Because it allows for slower regrowth compared to waxing.
It’s generally considered a less painful process. How? Especially when a skilled professional uses high-quality sugaring paste to guarantee good results.
However, like any hair removal process, sugaring still creates stress on the skin. Without proper before and after care, you might feel some irritation, inflammation, or itching. So, it is recommended to follow some simple prep and aftercare rules to keep skin silky smooth.
Here, we will uncover the secrets of this sugaring technique. Our helpful tips will help both first-timers and devoted fans who want to enhance their sugaring skills.
What Is Sugaring?
Sugaring is this ancient hair removal trick that’s basically like waxing but way easier and cheaper. And get this – you can totally do it at home without any fancy wax strips.
So, sugaring is all about this DIY paste made from just lemon, water, and sugar. You have to heat them up until it feels like candy. Let it cool down a bit, and you will get your hair removal magic solution. It’s quite easy to make the sugaring paste. After that, you just have to find out how to prepare for sugaring hair removal.
Remember that sugaring grabs the whole hair root, not just the tip, like shaving does. The more you sugar, the finer and sparser your hair grows back over time. It will take weeks for the hair to grow again, which is way better than waxing constantly.
Once you know how to prepare for sugaring and get it done, it will be like a new world for you. You will see how much time and money you are saving by ‘sugaring’.
So, it’s time to ditch the razor and give sugaring a shot to keep your skin healthy and smooth.
How to Prepare for Sugaring?
Interested in trying sugaring but want guidance? Understanding how to get skin ready before the sugaring process is important to get positive results. With some simple pre-sugaring prep steps, you can maximize comfort and minimize irritation.
Before knowing how to prepare skin for sugaring, take some notes below on ideal ways newcomers can prepare. It will set you up for the least discomfort and longest-lasting silkiness.
Remember that from gentle exfoliation to proper hydration, every step is required to get a successful sugaring done on you. In this guide, we will help you understand the necessary steps about how to prepare for sugaring appointment. It lets you make sure your skin is ready for the sugaring magic.
Before the Sugaring Appointment
- Make sure to exfoliate the specific part properly 1-2 days before with an exfoliating scrub. It will help you remove dead skin cells so the sugar paste can grip hair follicles better.
- It will be best if you allow the hair to grow out to 1⁄4 to 1⁄3 of an inch minimum. It is an optimum length. Because of this, the sugar paste will have enough grip on each hair strand to remove the full hair follicle. However, you can trim the hair if it gets any longer. This way, you can avoid excessive pain from tugging.
- Remember that exposing your skin to UV rays can have a very bad impact on your skin. How? It is because sugaring increases your sensitivity for a short time after treatment. That’s why we suggest you to avoid going to any tanning or sunbathing place for 24-48 hours before the appointment.
- Make sure to avoid using all kinds of lotion, moisturizers, oils, perfumes, etc., before the sugaring session. Why? Because they create a layer that prevents the sugaring paste from sticking.
- Try to wear cotton undergarments for a comfortable experience on your appointment.
- Try not to wear any tight jeans or pants. You have to avoid everything which can irritate your skin and make it sensitive before the appointment.
- It would be better if, after a shower, you didn’t dry the area fully. If the place is slightly damped, the sugaring paste will work better.
- Remember that compared to waxing, sugaring is less painful. However, there might still be a feeling of discomfort. So, those who are pain-sensitive should take something like ibuprofen about half an hour before coming. You will be able to get a less painful experience during the sugaring session.
After the Sugaring Appointment
- After a successful sugaring session, avoid sun exposure for 48 hours. Try to protect the area from sunlight to prevent any future irritation.
- Make sure you are not taking a hot bath after the sugaring appointment is done. Also, avoid scrubbing the sugared area if you don’t want to get sensitive skin. Use lukewarm water to gently clean the surface.
- Make sure to avoid a few things after the sugaring session. For example- sauna, pool, gym, swimming in lakes and rivers, SPA procedures, tanning booths, etc.
- After you have done the procedure on your armpits, make sure you are not using any deodorant for a few days.
- Ensure to apply moisturizer 2-3 times per day. It will ultimately hydrate and soothe the skin’s surface. Many use aloe vera gel as well because it heals quickly.
- Try to wear loose-fitting and soft-fabric clothing. It will help the skin breathe.
- If your skin is still sensitive, then you may take some medications recommended by a professional (if any soreness or swelling happens).
After learning how to get ready for sugaring, take care of your skin for the best result. Remember that it will only speed up the healing process.
How Is Sugaring Different Than Waxing?
- Materials – Sugaring paste is made from natural sugar, water, and lemon juice. But wax contains resin, oils, and other artificial compounds.
- Application process – The sugaring paste has to be applied against hair growth so it removes shorter hairs. But wax must be applied in the same direction to grip hair.
- Pain – The sugaring process pulls the hair quite softly rather than waxing. Professionals say that sugaring is less painful than waxing.
- Removal – The sugaring paste needs to be removed by hand along with the hair. On the other hand, hard wax has to be removed by ripping off whole strips. If you are using soft wax, then you have to press the strip on the skin and then pull it.
- Regrowth – Sugaring slows hair regrowth more than waxing. Also, the hair will grow thinner and sparser over time.
- Clean up – You can easily wash the sugaring paste with water. But with waxing, you have to use oil-based chemicals to remove it completely.
So, we can say that sugaring provides a more natural, smooth, and comfortable hair removal process compared to regular waxing.
What Are the Side Effects of Sugaring?
After the sugaring process is done, you might feel some redness, itching, and temporary irritation. The good thing is that it won’t last that long if you follow our guidelines and take care of your skin.
We have seen people complaining about developing bumps because of sensitive skin. The side effects we have mentioned above are quite common, and many users go through them. Make sure you are trying your best to avoid touching the itching area. Or else your skin might get a scar or a tear.
Now you know the key steps on how to prepare for sugaring and get a successful session done. Remember that exfoliation and letting hair grow to the right length before your appointment allows the sugar paste to easily grip hairs. You also have to skip the moisturizers or lotions to help the process.
Follow this simple skin prep routine, and soon you will be enjoying weeks of stubble-free soft, smooth skin. With some gentle pre-sugaring preparation, you will unlock the magic of this sweet, enduring hair removal method.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Prepare for Brazilian Sugaring?
Before your Brazilian sugaring session, you have to exfoliate your bikini area for one or two days. Use a gentle scrub to remove any dead skin that could block hair removal.
Next, you have to allow pubic hair to grow for a week. After it becomes around 1⁄4 to 1⁄3-inch, the sugar paste will work perfectly. And for the best result, do not apply anything on the sugaring surface after the session is done.
How Long Should You Pause Before Your Next Sugaring Appointment?
The ideal waiting time should be 2-4 weeks after you have experienced a successful sugaring session. Your skin needs to heal and get prepared for the next session, and for that, you need this time. If you strictly follow the routine, your hair growth rate will be thinner and slower.
After several sugaring treatments, your hair grows back finer and slower. Now, you can wait 4-6 weeks between appointments instead of removing hair more often.
Is It Alright to Get a Brazilian or Bikini Sugaring While on Your Period?
Most of the time, the answer is yes. You can do it, but remember that if you feel like your skin is too sensitive, then it is better not to go through with it. You can always reschedule your appointment if any sensitivity occurs. The decision is ultimately yours, and you can do sugaring if you are okay with it.
If you decide to proceed and want to know how to prepare for bikini sugaring, remember that the process is quite the same as we have discussed above. You can just simply wear a tampon during the sugaring session.